Re: [RP] The bad old days, and the delay after hitting C-t...

From: Chris Beggy
Subject: Re: [RP] The bad old days, and the delay after hitting C-t...
Date: Fri Nov 30 05:38:06 2001

From: Martin Samuelsson <address@hidden>

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 11:46:15PM -0800, Ryan Yeske wrote:
> > I had to laugh when I read this.  What kind of embedded device would
> > you need a window manager for? :)
>
> Let's call it dedicated systems instead.

Right, it all depends on your point of view.  Microwave ovens
with keypad interfaces to their microcontrollers don't seem
likely candidates for a window manager, ever.

Coming from the other end, game platforms, routers(both examples
of diskless systems with lots of memory, some IO, no fan, OS in
EEPROM ) look like good candidates for dedicated systems running
an OS (gnu/uCLinux), X, and one or two userland apps.  A wm might
fit in here.

Chris