Re: [RP] The bad old days, and the delay after hitting C-t...

From: Ryan Yeske
Subject: Re: [RP] The bad old days, and the delay after hitting C-t...
Date: Fri Nov 30 01:19:03 2001

Ben Leslie <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Ryan Yeske wrote:
>
> > Ben Leslie <address@hidden> writes:

> > [...]
> >
> > > Not everything has a keyboard either so you might want a different
> > > method of controlling ratpoison. (I'm thinking of maybe embedded devices
> > > and the like.).
> >
> > I had to laugh when I read this.  What kind of embedded device would
> > you need a window manager for? :)
>
> Weren't there a bunch of people running it on an ipaq?

Heh, ya I'm one of those people.  But the ipaq has a keyboard.  At
least, it has buttons that generate keysyms.  I wasn't thinking of an
ipaq as an embedded machine though...

> I could see the possibility for a window manager on car stereo mp3
> player, or probably a bunch of other things others haven't thought of
> yet.

But if you are running a wm, you by definition have a user interface.
It follows from having a user interface that you have user input.
Unless its all mouse motion stuff (in which case ratpoison is not the
right thing to run on the device), you will have some form of keyboard
input (even if its stroking letters with a pen).

Ryan