Re: [RP] The bad old days, and the delay after hitting C-t...

From: Ben Leslie
Subject: Re: [RP] The bad old days, and the delay after hitting C-t...
Date: Thu Nov 29 21:10:02 2001

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Shawn Betts wrote:

> Ben Leslie <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Possibly, but one could say it also sucks not to be able to drag a
> > window around with the mouse.
>
> You can...use twm. It lets you drag windows with a mouse. Please don't
> use the word 'mouse' when refering to the rat on this mailing list. It
> confuses many of us.

I wasn't saying saying *I* think it sucks, I'm saying other people could,
because they expect that functionality from a window manager.
The point was that I don't think ratpoison has ever based itself on what
other people expect, and saying that keylaunch is a bad thing based on this
is not a fair argument.

> > Well you can use the same argument that if ratpoison dies etc, so I don't
> > think this is a good argument.
>
> Rather than 1 possible fault (ratpoison dies) you have 2 faults now:
> ratpoison dies or keylaunch dies.

You are just hiding possible faults in ratpoison. If you cut out a significant
amount of code (ie: key handling) you reduce the number of places ratpoison
can crash in. (Of course you have just moved this to another place, (key
launch), which could die).

> Apart from some sort of conceptual modularity.

Well some people think conceptual modularity is elegant and simple. :)

It has the advantage that you can work on the two things seperately.
Not everything has a keyboard either so you might want a different
method of controlling ratpoison. (I'm thinking of maybe embedded devices
and the like.).

It also allows people to experiment more easily with changes how the
control stuff without having to troll the ratpoison source. (Not that
this has been a difficult thing since it is pretty clean at the moment).

This really started from people wanting the use single key strokes rather
than the C-t ? style key bindings. For me, this was a lot simpler to do
in a seperate program without bloating rp.

> keylaunch buys us
> nothing. It just needlessly complicates things.
> There's nothing
> stopping you from using keylaunch with rp, though.

Of course, its your project you can make whatever designs choices you
want :)

Cheers,

Benno