[Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah & non GNU projects

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah & non GNU projects
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 03:27:06 -0600 (MDT)

            There may be a misunderstanding. Maybe not. Two months ago I
    understood we decided that Savannah will be used to host non GNU
    projects. It's not 100% ready for this yet but I already accepted a few
    projects (~10).

I was expecting you to talk with me before taking this step; please
don't accept any more such packages until I give the go-ahead.

However, the experiment that these ten projects represent could be
useful.  It could give us an idea of what influence the availability
of our facilities to non-GNU packages has on whether people want to
make their programs GNU packages.

There have been occasions when people asked us for hosting, and I said
"We can provide that if your program is a GNU package", and they
responded by deciding to make it a GNU package.  It could be that if
we offer hosting to non-GNU packages, developers in such a position
would decide there is no reason to make it a GNU package.

But there could also be an influence in the other direction: using FSF
facilities could put people in the state of mind to want to contribute
to GNU.

Could you tell me what you have seen in these ten cases?  How did
these projects end up as non-GNU?  What did their developers think of
the possibility of making the package a GNU package?