[Savannah-hackers] Savannah & non GNU projects

From: loic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah & non GNU projects
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 15:17:00 +0200

Richard Stallman writes:
 >          A project was submitted to Savannah today. I would be tempted
 >     to accept it as a project that is not part of the GNU project but I
 >     need your advice about the licence.
 >
 > We haven't started accepting any non-GNU projects.
 > We were talking about it but haven't decided to do it.

        There may be a misunderstanding. Maybe not. Two months ago I
understood we decided that Savannah will be used to host non GNU
projects. It's not 100% ready for this yet but I already accepted a few
projects (~10). I'm mainly waiting for the mail installation to be
done before declaring to GNU : it's ready. Advertising this fact to
the world will be possible after this point.

        You decided for the domain name freesoftware.fsf.org two month
ago and we discussed various details such as where to put the web
pages (www.freesoftware.fsf.org), the ftp space
(ftp.freesoftware.fsf.org), mailing lists (mail.freesoftware.fsf.org)
etc.  We all worked accordingly to implement the hosting of Free
Software projects that are not part of the GNU project. It's not
finished yet but it's close.  Changing the domain to non-gnu.gnu.org
or non-gnu.fsf.org is not much trouble, I follow the threads related
to this.

        In order to avoid any trouble with licenses, I also understood
that accepting software released under a Free Software license that is
compatible with the GPL was a solution. Each case involving another
Free Software license should then be discussed on a case by case basis,
hence my question.

        I'll stop accepting software that is not part of the GNU
project until we clarify the situation.

        Cheers,