[Savannah-hackers] Savannah mirrors (was: Licence question)

From: loic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah mirrors (was: Licence question)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 13:19:19 +0200

Richard Stallman writes:
 > We could make another Savannah in Europe if that seems useful.
 > But do we have a place to host it?  (Nevrax?)
 >
 > Or do we want to have some kind of mirror in Europe?
 > (Can that be done with CVS?  I would be surprised.)

        We have multiple plans to host a Savannah mirror in Europe.
Building another one may not be necessary. The main concern is to be
able to recover from a catastrophy (machine crash, earth quake in the
boston area, takeover from the US government). For some organisations
and people such a mirror is even a mandatory step to use Savannah. For
instance a french governmental agency would use Savannah if and only
if there exists an up to date mirror located in France and people
technically able to operate it.

        Yes, Nevrax could be a good choice. Frederic Cella (Placenet)
also proposed to donate a machine to the GNU project (this summer)
with the appropriate bandwidth (I sent a mail summarizing his proposal
two weeks ago on various lists, including system-hackers). For various
reasons I'd favor Nevrax or Placenet over the various providers who
made similar offers (Easynet, Above, Free) because they truly
understand Free Software and are really commited to it. In the month
to come it's also likely that universities (ENST - Samuel Tardieu,
ENST Bretagne - Gerald Ouvradou, INT Evry - Christian Bac) will be
able and willing to host a Savannah mirror.

        The extension of this redundancy to other European countries
is worked on thru the IST call for offer of the European Commission.
This is still a remote possibility, mostly unexplored.

        Technically speaking such a mirror may easily and efficiently
be done with rsync.

        Cheers,