Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Licence question

From: Olivier Berger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Licence question
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 01:24:00 +0200

"Georg C. F. Greve" a écrit :

> FYI:
> Locating savannah in Europe would have been an even better decision,
> imho. People all over Europe are demanding a "European sourceforge"
> and I'm very sure VA plans to create one.
>
> Had savannah been set up in Europe physically and would now be made
> public, we'd be swatting two flies at once. Savannah would run high
> chances to become the #1 "sourceforge-like" site in Europe.

I think I can understand why people would feel they need a "European"
server... but more important : they need to have the oportunity to
benefit from a reliable service not as centralised and dependant from a
specific vendor's policy as SourceForge is.

In my opinion, it's more important to host on a server where freedom is
really valued and which is developed in a cooperative way, than to host
it in France or Europe.

Anyway, we should definitely provide a backup solution ASAP even if the
primary server still resides in the US... even if each project manager
can use the nightly tarballs to backup its project, a global daily
backup would be safe and comfort everybody.
Sorry if such a mirroring is allready up and running ;)

My 2 cents,
--
Olivier BERGER - Secrétaire de l'association APRIL
APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)