Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Licence question

From: Olivier Berger
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Licence question
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 01:34:07 +0200

Bernhard Reiter a écrit :

> We should demand national source collaboration sites in general.
> For me the task is similiar like to maintain public libraries.
> And no country will think that one european public library is enough.
> It is usually in the responsibility of the state /country and in the
> publich interest to fund public libraries.

I'm not sure we need to ask for public projects hosting platforms in
every country (I mean runned by national agencies), since developers
might be the best people who can devise the tools they need.

But we definitely need, IMHO, to make the different ministries of
culture and national libraries aware of the importance of Free Software,
and I think they should be somehow in charge of archiving "published"
Free Softwares, as they do for scientific publications, for instance.

Of course, there are a lot of problems we can imagine that can make this
kind of projects risky/difficult... as long as officials take part to
activities previously runned by volunteers, there might be trouble ;)

I think this point should become one of the active projects of the
FSF(E), if it is not already. Maybe a dedicated project / mailing-list
for this subject would be a good thing ? Or there are already resources
discussing this idea on the web somewhere ?

Any more comments ? or should we create a list first instead of
crossposting ?

--
Olivier BERGER - Secrétaire de l'association APRIL
APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)