[Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:06:14 -0400

    Ok. I think I am missing something important here.
    How do you distinguish a software that was written by GNU people from
    the software, that just uses GPL license?

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html for the explanation.

    > What we gain by informing them where the system comes from is that
    > they will hear more about the GNU project';s philosophy, and will
    > pay more attention to it when they do hear about it.
    > See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#lost.

    Well, if this is the case, I believe more effort should be spent for
    propoganda. Like graphic banners for instance.

Could you be more specific?  If you give a concrete suggestion
I can think about it.

    For instance, some parties create CDs, which they don't make immidiately
    available from ftps, and force people to buy GNU/Linux this way. Do you
    think it's legal?

It is legal if they provide source code as required by the GPL.
The page http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html should answer
all your questions about this.  If you have a question not answered
there, please send it to me.