Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)

From: Yaroslav Klyukin
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:41:53 -0400

GNU is not a collection of tools, GNU is an operating system.  See

By definition the OS is an environment that allows applications to run.
So technicly GNU is not an operating system.
It was intended to be, but it is not at this time.
On the contrary, when application starts, the kernel is doing resource allocation, scheduling and handles the execution of the program. From this standpoint, kernel does all the job associated with the execution process of an application. Even if an application is using C libraries, the libraries are loaded in the context of the application, so they are part of the application at runtime.
Can you argue this point?
You can take a linux kernel and add it to the GNU software and call it the GNU/Linux (the same exact thing Debian did), but until then it will remain GNU toolset, because if there is no kernel - there is no OS, as there is no way for applications to access the hardware, therefore they cannot run.

To tell you the truth, I am for the idea of FSF, but against the measures.
I agree that developers should get credited for what they've done.
But I think that stating that GNU is a complete operating system is an exaggeration.