Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)

From: Yaroslav Klyukin
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:43:37 -0400

Sylvain Beucler wrote:

Actually, I think we cannot work efficiently if we cannot first have a fruitful argument.

I just wanted to spend some of my spare time in order to help you, but instead I have got an ultimatum - "Either I accept your philosophy, or your reject to work on any projects with me."

Unfortunately, this is not acceptable to me.
My goal - is to increase my computer skills, dealing with computer professionals, who you (GNU people) represent. I don't want to get involved in political part of the project - just the the development part.

[Naming an OS]

I can be my OS, yours, or RedHat's, or partialy yours+mine+RedHat's, it does not justify an improper name, and we encourage people to call it properly. Is this ok? If not, what makes you think we cannot encourage people to use the name we think fits better?

We have different understanding of the word "improper".
In my opinion it is proper for anybody to call his own product any name he wishes as long as it does not interfere with copyright laws.

The fact we could replace all this pieces of software using another, eg X11 by Quartz, or BSD-libc by glibc, or core-utils by Sun's POSIX tools, is also irrevelent IMHO. If you disagree with my version, do you have a better formal definition of an OS?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=Operating%20system

"Software designed to control the hardware of a specific data-processing system in order to allow users and application programs to make use of it."

Last, as Dale Mellor (GNU Mcron's maintainer) says:
"Despite the brusque/curmudgeonly/terse nature of my e-mails I am
really a nice guy and wish you well."
:)

Heh, the same thing here :)