Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:08:02 -0400

    This way everything is easy:
    - Count all software packages on CD.

It would be necessary to add up their sizes, not just count the number
of packages.  It would be a substantial job.  And you'd have to decide
which packages are important enough to be worth counting.  Consider Debian;
it has over 10,000 packages, I believe, but many are only rarely used.

Would you like to do this experiment?

    - Get the percentage of GNU software.
    - If GNU software constitutes over 50% of the OS, then it has all rights
    to be mentioned in the name of the OS.

In 1995, the last time someone did this that I know of,
28% of the system was GNU software.  Linux was 3%.  GNU software
was not 50% of the system, but it was much bigger than Linux.
That, I think, is enough reason to argue that calling the system
"Linux" can't be right.

Much more free software has been developed since then, so I expect
that both numbers would be smaller if you counted today.