Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Help wanted (sysadmin work)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:51:30 -0400

    By definition the OS is an environment that allows applications to run.
    So technicly GNU is not an operating system.
    It was intended to be, but it is not at this time.

Are you saying that GNU lacks a kernel?  That's not true any more; the
GNU kernel does run.  Not that it makes any difference.  Even in 1995,
when the GNU kernel did not run at all, the "Linux" system was
basically GNU with Linux added.

Since the GNU/Linux system does not include the GNU kernel, the status
of the GNU kernel is irrelevant to the question of what to call the
GNU/Linux system.  What point is there in raising arguments that
clearly do not prove anything?  It seems that you are grasping at
straws to deny us the credit for our work.  That is a rather unfriendly
attitude towards the GNU Project.

Under the circumstances, I think we can do without your help on
Savannah.  We would rather accept help from people who have a
generally positive attitude towards the GNU Project, as well
as a willingness to do certain work.

Thank you for the offer to help.