Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Next release?

From: Yann Dirson
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] Next release?
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:39:23 +0100

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 10:42:26AM -0600, David White wrote:
> Well, I think the .0 releases were meant to be 'stable', however in
> practice they didn't tend to be substantially more stable than any other
> release.

In my mind at least, stable releases were meant to be rather balanced.
That could be an argument to keep those.

And naming "stable" the latest of a 0.x line does not completely work if we
want to have a reasonable stable server - eg. we cannot now declare 0.8.7
"stable", since people will still connect to the default development server.

> I think if you want to call a release 'stable' it means you have to
> remain committed to it until you release  new stable version. i.e. if a
> serious bug is found in the stable release, you have to backport a fix
> to the stable release. This basically means you have to branch.

This is more like the notion of "stable" for a released product, which
wesnoth is not yet.  I had suggested something like that to miyo in the
past, but for translations only.  But finally I agreed with him that it was
probably not worth putting much work to update those "stable" releases.

But if we decide to release 1.0 soon, this is something we'll have to
consider anyway.  We'll need to handle 2 lines of developement, decide which
bugs are annoying enough to backport the fix, etc.

> Also, I think that a big factor is that almost all our releases are
> stable enough to be called 'stable' considering the version number is <
> 1.0. Which I think is something we should all be fairly happy about.

Right :)

Best regards,
--
Yann Dirson    <address@hidden> |