Re: [Wesnoth-dev] issues document

From: David White
Subject: Re: [Wesnoth-dev] issues document
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 19:47:02 -0500

Some more comments on these items:

ott wrote:

9982, 10154, 14533: some hotkeys are broken on some keyboards

The default hotkey for command mode is "shift-;" which is ":" on many
keyboard layouts.  If you have a keyboard layout where ";" is only
available as a shifted key (eg. German), it is not possible to generate
a "shift-;" keystroke.  Workaround: redefine the hotkey in the game
preferences to another key.  You can also work around "/" not being
available, but 1-7 are currently hardcoded and therefore not accessible
eg. for French keyboard layouts.
I really think we should consider resolving this by choosing different shortcuts. Perhaps ctrl+c for command and ctrl+f for 'find' (if they're not already used).

14409: broken user MP map pack stops MP being playable
I have resolved this. :)

10962: a unit does not level up in a replay if that is the last action
Probably one of the nastiest outstanding bugs.

11364: unit description of modified unit shows unmodified stats
I think this is really a WAD too. "Unit Description" goes to the help page for that type of unit. It doesn't document any characteristics specific to this instance of the unit, such as traits, current hitpoints, etc. At the worst, one could say that we should rename from "Unit Description" to something more like "Unit Help".

11797: new campaign images are not shown until the game is restarted
This was probably the worst outstanding issue, so I resolved it.

13313: subdirectories are not shown in save and load dialogs
This also is a WAD/feature enhancement request. Basically I think WADs like this should perhaps go in the document, but in a different section to genuine issues.

13391: at night, it can be difficult to distinguish selected castle hexes
If an artist wants to work at it, they could try to fix this before release.

13895: in Northern Outpost one can undo searching the villages
If this is considered a bug, I think Turin should be able to fix it without too much trouble. Just make it so moving into a village causes a trivial event, and it will disallow undoing.

The game builds a cache of game data to speed up starting the game.
Sometimes this cache is not updated even when game content changes, and
it is necessary to delete (clear) the cache to force the game to rebuild
it with fresh data.  We don't know exactly why this is, since the game
tries to detect changes to files and rebuilds the cache as necessary.
The cache is stored in different places: ...
I don't think I have ever seen this happen. Are we sure this is a problem?

I think caches are alot like random numbers: people are suspicious of them, and when things go wrong, the first thing they blame is bad caching. I would have to unnecessarily inflame such fears by putting a note about it in our issues document unless we are sure this really does occur.

David