Re: [xougen] Regarding server side widgets

From: Tyler Hall
Subject: Re: [xougen] Regarding server side widgets
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:51:38 -0500

Arwed von Merkatz wrote:

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 05:23:46PM -0700, David Ross wrote:
Hi All,

I absolutely agree that what should be compiled should only be what is
needed, and/or only what is needed should be loaded.  Similar to the
Linux method of configuration for compilation and for the modules too.
But what I have read about imake vs. the GNU Autotools is that imake is
not very flexible in this regard.  Or am I dead wrong?  Perhaps we need
to add another level/layer of abstraction on top of imake?  I also read
that there where some other problems with imake because it used the
c-pre-processor, what has/have your experiences been?

It is already possible to configure the xfree build process to only
compile and install stuff you want/need. It can all be configure in the
host.def, which drivers to compile, which apps, which libs, ...

All that is needed is imho a nice dialog based config tool to do this.
That might be fine for just building, what about for new-blood programmers? Is the source tree laid out in a similar structure as the host.def (or whatever the config tool will provide)? Will developers be un-necessarily slowed down because of the current layout of source?

Tyler