Re: [avr-chat] how to connect USBasp to attiny2313

Subject: Re: [avr-chat] how to connect USBasp to attiny2313
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 08:23:12 +0200

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 00:41:35 -0400
Ormund Williams <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-08-03 at 05:30 +0200, YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote:
> >                                   Block Poll               Page
> >           Polled
> >            Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW
> >  MaxW   ReadBack
> >            ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------
> > ----- ----- ---------
> >            eeprom        65     6     4    0 no        128    4      0
> > 4000  4500 0xff 0xff
> >            flash         65     6    32    0 yes      2048   32     64
> > 4500  4500 0xff 0xff
> >            signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0
> > 0     0 0x00 0x00 <----XXX
> >            lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0
> > 9000  9000 0x00 0x00
> >            lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0
> > 9000  9000 0x00 0x00
> >            hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0
> > 9000  9000 0x00 0x00
> >            efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0
> > 9000  9000 0x00 0x00
> >            calibration    0     0     0    0 no          2    0      0
> > 0     0 0x00 0x00
> >
> >          Programmer Type : usbasp
> >          Description     : USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/
> >
> > avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
> > avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
> >
> > Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s
> >
> > avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
> > avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
> >          Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
> >          this check.
> >

> > avrdude done.  Thank you.
> >
> > But as you can see I got some errors.
> > Do you see the problem ?
>
> Looking back at all the avrdude messages you have shown, it seems that
> the usbasp has never made a connection with the tiny2313, the
> 'signature' has always come back as 0x0000.  You have one or more of 3
> problems:
>         1, The wiring you have may not be correct.  In a previous
>         message you showed how you connected the usbasp to the tiny2313,
>         it is correct but you need to confirm that you have pin1 correct
>         (see attachment), the wires are short, less than 300mm and
>         making good contact.
>
>         2, The tiny2313 comes with the 8MHz internal RC oscillator and
>         the
>         CKDIV8 fuse enabled, that means that the tiny2313 is running at
>         1MHz therefore the maximum SCK clock must be less than 250kHz,
>         according to the documentation:
>         http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/Readme.txt the SCK frequency is
>         375kHz unless you set the internal SCK jumper of the usbasp, you
>         will have to open it to do that.
>
>         3, The usbasp is broken. Replace, with something better.
>
> Regards.
>
> --
> Ormund

I have 3 questions (A, B and C).

A) Thank you for the image.
I can see on your image that I am using the cable correctly.
Indeed, I put the coloured part at the top, so the pin 1 and 2 are at the top.
But I can see on your image that we see the back of the connector (the part
without the holes where we plug the pins).
That's not what I am doing.
Indeed, I am watching the connector in front of me, so the pin 1 and 2 are
reversed when I am using it.
You can watch in the attached usbasp_connector_2_small.png file what I am doing.
Am I wrong ?

B) Using your way to do (taking the connector from the back instead of from the
front), I can use avrdude 5.11.1:
---
$ sudo avrdude -p t2313 -c usbasp -U flash:w:main.hex

avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware
update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.
---

Using your way to do (taking the connector from the back instead of from the
front), I can use avrdude 5.2:
---
$ sudo avrdude -p t2313 -c usbasp -U flash:w:main.hex

avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0xffffff
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.
---

So you can see the avrdude device signature has changed: 0xffffff (instead of
0x000000).
Do you understand why ?
You can watch in the attached usbasp_microcontrolleur.png file what I am doing.

C) You say that there is a problem about the SCK frequency.
Instead of open the usbasp to resolve this problem, what do you think about
changing the internal RC oscillator of my attiny2313 ?
Indeed, if I put a component between the XTAL2 and XTAL1 pins (pins 4 and 5) of
my attiny2313 it may resolve the problem.
This solution should avoid to open the programmer.