Re: [avr-chat] how to connect USBasp to attiny2313

From: Ormund Williams
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] how to connect USBasp to attiny2313
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 20:04:22 -0400

On Fri, 2013-08-02 at 23:14 +0200, YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List wrote:
> There are no jumper on my programmer.

You might have to open it up to know that for sure, it may just be holes
in the board and you will need to solder in the jumper or some short
wires.

> This is my programmer:
> http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130950244805&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
> There is no documentation with it.

There seem to be quite a few of the 'usbasp' boards out there, even at 5
euros they are a waste of money.

> My computer has not a parallel port, that's why I use a USBasp programmer.
> Previously, on an other computer, I was able to program a micro-controller
> with avrdude and a DAPA programmer I made myself.

You may have to do that again.  Look around your neighborhood find an
old computer, install a basic version of Linux (no GUI), install
avrdude, find that DAPA programmer or just an old parallel printer cable
(you can cut the printer end off, just strip the wires and push them
into the usbasp 10pin connector), you will need a 5volt power supply
since you will need to disconnect the usb end of the usbasp.

The following link has detailed instructions on updating the usbasp:
    http://www.rogerclark.net/?p=702

> A USB programmer is more difficult to use because it has a micro-controller
> that contains a firmware that sometimes need to be updated.
> My product can't be updated easily because I must break the box to access to
> the programmer card.

If you break it open carefully you might be able to glue it back
together.

> Also, I hope I am not doing a mistake when I link my programmer to the
> micro-controller.
> As you can see on the picture, the cable has a colored part.
> I consider that this is where the "1" pin is.
> Maybe it's wrong.

The red colour indicates pin 1, that is standard.

Happy hacking.
--
Ormund