Re: [avr-chat] how to connect USBasp to attiny2313

Subject: Re: [avr-chat] how to connect USBasp to attiny2313
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 09:53:09 +0200

On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 09:28:08 +0200
Andreas Graebe <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 02.08.2013, 08:53 +0200 schrieb YuGiOhJCJ Mailing-List:
>
> > Yes, in the datasheet we can see for example RST is on pin 1.
> > But I was wondering how to know the corresponding pin in for the programmer.
> > It seems to be the pin 5 if we watch this document [1].
> > So, this problem is resolved now.
> > But I am wondering now why avrdude output this message:
> > $ avrdude -p t2313 -c usbasp -U flash:w:main.hex
> > avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware
> > update.
> > avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
> > avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
> >          Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
> >          this check.
> >

> > avrdude done.  Thank you.
>
> Thats strange. Perhaps you need a firmware-update as mentioned.
>
> What operating system do you use? What is the software version of
> avrdude. I use avrdude: Version 5.11.1, it runs on linux, kernel
> 3.5.0-38 with no problems. Of course, you have to put the information
> for usbasp (16c0:05dc) to /etc/udev/rules.d
>
> Try to set the speed parameter (i. e. "-B 50") to slow down the
> communication. What does avrdude show, when you call it with parameter
> -v instead of your own program:
>
> avrdude -p t2313 -c usbasp -B 50 -v &> dude.txt
>
> --
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / kind regards
> Andreas Graebe

Maybe I need a firmware-update, but in this case, I can't do it because to
update the firmware of this programmer, I need an other programmer that I don't
have currently.

The operating system I am using is a GNU/Linux 32 bits OS (linux 3.2.29,
distro: Slackware 14.0).
I am using avrdude 5.11.
I have no udev rules but I think they are useful to set the permission to users
when the USB device is plugged.
As I am running avrdude with "sudo", it shouldn't be a problem.

This is the result of the command:
$ sudo avrdude -v -B 50 -p t2313 -c usbasp -U flash:w:main.hex
avrdude: Version 5.11, compiled on Jul 26 2013 at 17:11:14
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

         System wide configuration file is "/usr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/home/spierre/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file,
skipping

         Using Port                    : /dev/parport0
         Using Programmer              : usbasp
         Setting bit clk period        : 50.0
         AVR Part                      : ATtiny2313
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD4
         BS2                           : PD6
         RESET disposition             : possible i/o
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

                                  Block Poll               Page
      Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW
MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ -----
----- ---------
           eeprom        65     6     4    0 no        128    4      0  4000
4500 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6    32    0 yes      2048   32     64  4500
4500 0xff 0xff
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0
 0 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000
9000 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000
9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000
9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000
9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          2    0      0     0
 0 0x00 0x00

         Programmer Type : usbasp
         Description     : USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

avrdude: set SCK frequency to 16000 Hz
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware
update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Do you understand why it fails ?