Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How does 'make check' find its dependencies?

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How does 'make check' find its dependencies?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:10:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, August 10, 2006 11:52, Greg Troxel wrote:

> What I really want is an easy way to build each component by
> downloading some tarball (can be same for all) and doing some sort of
> ./configure argument and ending up with only each logical component
> installed.   Your detailed suggestion sounds like it does this exactly.

So to build only gnuradio-core, you'd put

./configure --disable-all --enable-gnuradio-core

> From the pkgsrc point of view, it's ok to insist that a depending
> component be either already installed where it belongs
> or built in this build tree.

That will work.  It's only a 'make check' issue, not a compile issue.  For
example, if you wanted to create a gr-usrp package (that didn't have usrp
in it also), 'make check' would need to resolve the location of the
libusrp shared library.  Since you're not building usrp at the same time,
and it might not be installed, 'make check' would fail.  It wouldn't stop
you from building a package from the 'make install' output, but you
couldn't put the 'make check' as part of the process.

It's good to brainstorm this out because eventually we want to automate
the creation of .rpms and .debs and this issue will show up then too.

-Johnathan