Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 22:09:41 +0100

North London John wrote:

Maybe more information and introductory leaflets stating our position as purely software freedom related is needed. In fact there are other resources dedicated to marxist free software campaigners to avoid some of the common misunderstandings we might have experienced in the past (ie, point away for any party political animal who misses the point).

I thought there was a lack of marxist free software resources? Could you post details/urls/etc?

Oekonux ("Linux Economy") list has a link here
<http://www.oekonux.org/list-en/archive/msg00423.html>
which might lead to something useful for Marxists.
There is a link to an interesting thought provoking image too.

(On a tangent, the party conference season will be here in a few months - it's not too early to consider attending those.)

I do not think any organised party political event will welcome a table from us. My suspicions are they have their IT policies drawn along their economic models/theories. The last thing they will accept is some non focussed (by their measurements) group trying to tell them what to do with their IT policy. We could always write to their decision makers but not expect to barge into the annual get together. ' Marxism 2003' seems to be different as it is not one particular party political event (from what I understood it to be, so far).
If volunteers are need I am available from the 8th onwards.

Also the Legalise Cannabis Alliance is OK by me.
<http://www.lca-uk.org/>
I want to approach them about their chain letter being in a certain non free format.

We should definitely appear at all the alternative energy and anti consumerist-recyling gatherings which are also being forced into political positions, unwillingly, a bit like us. I volunteer again for these events if there is a need for it.
Regards,

Ramanan