Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Stalls at Marxism 2003
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 11:32:23 +0100

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 10:04:11AM +0100, Brian Gough wrote:
> I don't believe it would be appropriate for AFFS to have an official
> presence at this event.
>
> To attract a wide membership we need to be seen as non-political.
> Attending specific political events would create an impression that we
> are not.

Hmm, I'm not sure. I think we should be anywhere where people might listen.
We are, after all, a political organisation ourselves, and if we only
attend "non-political" events we're cutting off a lot of events. Or are
you talking about drawing the line at party political events?

> I don't have a problem if individuals want to promote free software
> within their own political parties, but that's something which should
> be done independently of AFFS.

I think we should still help co-ordinate though. AFFS is here to help
people promote Free Software; leaving people on their own in certain
situations seems a bit arbitrary.

I do understand the point about being as 'political' (i.e., communist).
I rather suspect people would make up their mind anyway, to be honest.

Cheers,

Alex.