Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 12:42:50 -0000

David Casal <address@hidden> wrote:
> What has happened so far? Can it be said that the effort to start off
> SchoolForge UK is well underway?

Indeed. See http://www.schoolforge.org.uk/ for the details in their own
words. I need to update the information about AFFS's role, as it's got
buried somewhere along the way.

> Do you see a JISC service being able to collaborate with it easily
> (keep in mind this service would tackle FE and HE primarily), even
> though its focus is 'schools'? My thinking here is that JISC could
> benefit from -not- starting yet another node, and instead fusing effort
> from existing ones.

Hopefully it could, as I don't think the aims are restricted to just
pre-16 education in any way. One of the suggested problems to solve is
the insane number of databases and portals that are currently out there
already, often using their own nomenclature and classifications.

> Do people think the membership/voting thread is mature enough now for me
> to say that 'the AFFS is working towards enlarging their membership to
> include people and organisations involved in education', or even 'OSAS
> would work within existing efforts to get people within educational
> institutions actively involved in AFFS activity?'

I think the first statement is definitely true. Now AFFSAC is over, there
are three main things we're currently working on: Education, Software
Patents and enlargements.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://address@hidden
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."