Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 19:00:51 +0100

This is a good model.
I have am important additon to propose (again) , so we do not leave the common (wo)man, out. We really need to enocurage the responsible adult population to participate too. Many will if we can explain the need for our organisation. Most of those who will bother to listen to us are more likely to be invovled with their children's school related affairs too (eg: governors).
-- most likey to participate in local political pressure groups also.

I propose we extend any such free offer of associate (or similar) membership scheme *to anyone* through an information quiz of some sort (no this will not be seen as a cheap game...especially if we carefully advocate the need for software freedom). This will fullfill more than one objective as spelled out in our constitution. We need informed / educated people. Not just statistics.

Andrew Savory wrote:

Hi,

Hmm, ok, to recap:

* there was a suggestion for an "associate" membership that we could give
out freely to interested teachers / lecturers etc, which would swell our
numbers, making us a more viable campaigning body and giving us a bigger
voice when speaking to government, etc.

* there's also been mention of an AFFSED (AFFS education network) /
AFFSEdIG (AFFS education interest group), for people specifically
interested in the issues of Free Software in Education to interact
(possibly through separate mailing list, for example).

* there's also been mention of associating/partnering/allying with
schoolforge-uk, to avoid duplication of effort.

To be honest, I think we should go for all three --

- AFFS needs to be bigger (because there's too much work for the existing
active members, but more importantly, because people won't take an
association with 60-odd members as seriously as 60,000).

- AFFS needs to work on the education focus, and a SIG may help focus that
and reduce subject-specific traffic on the main list (kudos to the work
Richard Smedley has done so far, but all our campaigns need more work /
volunteers).

- We should build on our relationships with other organisations, but be
careful not to wind up with us all being members of all of them.
Partnering is the solution to this, I suspect.

Thoughts?

Andrew.