Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 15:48:29 +0100

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 03:14:53AM -1100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Schoolforge != Schoolforge-UK.

Sorry, that was shorthand for Schoolforge-UK, I should have realised that
was a separate project ;)

> Basically, Schoolforge-UK has projects,
> helpers and developers, but no campaign management functions, nor any
> general membership system (basically your education network idea), nor
> any viable entity to do such things, nor many links outside the
> education field.

Okay. I thought Schoolforge-UK was some kind of entity in and of itself,
rather than a moniker for a collective which is what it appears to be -
is that a fairer description?

> I think such things are best done by an AFFS EdIG and
> contributed to Schoolforge-UK because we already have the parts and/or
> needs for them and I don't see what they would gain from duplicating
> them. Each group should do what it is good at.

Sure. I wasn't suggesting that we shouldn't be co-operative. I'm just
querying whether we could just 'co-op' the Schoolforge-UK name - I thought
it was some group of people who were already autonomous to some extent.

Is what you're describing something like AFFS EdIG being a member of
Schoolforge-UK? Like some kind of contributing organisation, or something?

My question is basically about who would manage what - I have no problem
with AFFS working within a framework set by someone else, I just want to be
clear on what's being suggested!

Cheers,

Alex.