Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 12:38:40 -0000

Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...] I think my proposal would be that we set this thing
> up as the "AFFS Education Network" or something. People could then be
> members of AFFSEN, which would shortcut our constitution problem.

I'd rather do this under the Schoolforge-UK banner if we can, for now,
with their members being able to sign up for our EdIG as easily as
possible.  Currently, I don't think they have a membership system as such
and their aims are quite compatible, so I can't see any reason why not
to do it. Feel free to tell me otherwise.  It probably gives us a nicer
face for schools, same as the JISC project will for HE.

Can we designate the EdIG to be a type of local branch?  I know it's
bizarre, but the constitution (based on NCVO's model) doesn't actually
specify that it has to be restricted in geography.  That would make it
quite easy to fit into the existing AFFS systems.

> Does anyone think this sounds sensible?

Modulo the above, yes.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://address@hidden
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."