Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership

From: David Casal
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:56:23 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 24 May 2003, MJ Ray wrote:

> David Casal <address@hidden> wrote:
> > At this point, we need to put a presentation together on how we'd run it,
> > etc. I want to put special emphasis on the Regional Support Network for
> > FE, and will be in contact with the Anglian node shortly to try to meet
> > about this.
>
> As you know, I currently do some work for FE in that region, and I use
> free software in preference to the college's "MS Campus Agreement"
> offerings.  I had no idea that there was a Regional Support Network
> for FE or how to get in touch with them.  Are they meant to talk to
> front-line staff?

Yes, I was aware of that, and hoping you'd ask. The Regional Support
Network is a JISC initiative:

http://www.jisc.ac.uk/rsc/

Find the national map here:

http://www.jisc.ac.uk/index.cfm?name=rsclocation

THe Eastern node:

http://www.rsc-eastern.ac.uk/

I am currently talking to Gerard Hayes, Manager for the Eastern node,
about the JISC bid (open source advisory service). The idea is that we
would integrate the service with their role, and establish links between
organisations somehow.

When we present to the panel next week in London, my point is going centre
around integration with organisations such as the AFFS, but also with
companies/people involved (Richard?) who already have commitments to
education/FS.

MJR also wrote:

>I'm probably the link there.  I'm also involved with starting off
>SchoolForge UK, although AFFSAC and the like has taken me away for now.
>One of the problems when starting that is that the people are willing to
>give time and effort, but have some problems with the way AFFS has been
>working, so wanted to remain semi-detached for now.  I think it's time to
>think what we want to get out of our involvement with them and see if
>that's possible.

What has happened so far? Can it be said that the effort to start off
SchoolForge UK is well underway? Do you see a JISC service being able to
collaborate with it easily (keep in mind this service would tackle FE and
HE primarily), even though its focus is 'schools'? My thinking here is
that JISC could benefit from -not- starting yet another node, and instead
fusing effort from existing ones.

Do people think the membership/voting thread is mature enough now for me
to say that 'the AFFS is working towards enlarging their membership to
include people and organisations involved in education', or even 'OSAS
would work within existing efforts to get people within educational
institutions actively involved in AFFS activity?'

David Casal
e:  address@hidden
w:  ariada.uea.ac.uk/~dcasal
p:  (+44) 07803 173 959