Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Membership
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 11:45:03 +0100

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 10:56:23AM +0100, David Casal wrote:
> Do people think the membership/voting thread is mature enough now for me
> to say that 'the AFFS is working towards enlarging their membership to
> include people and organisations involved in education', or even 'OSAS
> would work within existing efforts to get people within educational
> institutions actively involved in AFFS activity?'

Yes and no. We can't offer people 'full membership' for free, since that
is unconstitutional (you have to pay to get voting rights, etc.). Hence,
I can't see that we would be able to call these people 'members of AFFS'.

However, the above is otherwise basically true - we just need to sort
out the specifics, and I suspect most arguing will be (as usual ;) what
we call this thing. I think my proposal would be that we set this thing
up as the "AFFS Education Network" or something. People could then be
members of AFFSEN, which would shortcut our constitution problem.

MJR has already put out a call for interest in an EdSIG within AFFS, which
would involve putting aside some special areas/resources (mailing lists,
etc.) for those people interested in this issue alone. That SIG could be
tasked with running the AFFSEN.

We can work towards developing whatever framework (online or not) that
people think is necessary to i. co-ordinate and manage this (hopefully)
much larger group of people, ii. provide information etc. that these
people would feel relevant.

Does anyone think this sounds sensible?

Cheers,

Alex