Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:32:49 +0100

On Tuesday 17 December 2013 08.01:11 Linus Probert wrote:
> I've got some experience with embedding Lua in C/C++, it's easy in C and
> works well with C++. Lua on the other hand is really nice working in, if
> possible one should work towards writing the core engine in C/C++ and then
> implementing the logic of the game in Lua, that way ugly code in the game
> logic has less of an impact. The largest perk with this though, is that the
> code for the game logic doesn't leak.

While I have no experience in Lua beside reading a tutorial, I agree that Lua
is superior to Python with respect to embedding, and certainly would be great
for map scripting. However, I am afraid that for the core engine, Python along
with mathematical packages such as numpy (and scipy if necessary) would be
better. Maybe we can have a Lua VM in Python for scripting maps ;-)

> Cloning the original glob2 into such a code structure would be a good start
> and we wouldn't have to wait for design decisions and discussions before
> coding since the original is the template. Once that is done one could
> focus on evolving the game only now the codebase is easier and less costly
> to work with.

I agree, I would love to see how smaller the unit state machine code could be
with co-routines. Maybe I should try during the upcoming holidays ;-)

have a nice day,

Stéphane