Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 08:39:44 +0100

Hello,

> I'm more concerned about getting quality for the money. Last time I tried to
> push Glob2 with money, I'm not sure if it even helped at all as for one I
> didn't get half the agreed coding work for the money paid and maybe even
> poisoned the open source spirit by bringing money in.
>
> I wonder how many former glob2 players we could reach with a campaign and
> whether it is worth it, to share the funds with paypal and kickstarter in
> other words I wonder if the usual kickstarter user might jump on supporting
> the project if they are not former glob2 players anyway.

I am also not sure whether the money is the critical part to start from, one
of the problem with glob2 is the breadth and the depth of the code base and
the unreadability of the critical parts, for instance the unit state machines.
That is why I suggest to switch to a more accessible language for these parts
and make them more readable. My work on co-routine with teer is directly based
on my experience on glob2, and my frustration of not being able to understand
easily what is going on with the unit behaviours.

> About the design decisions: I am not passionate about reinventing the wheel,
> so if we can base glob3 on another game, that's fine with me, too.
> (Mega)Glest [1] for example has a nice game engine. I have no idea though
> whether their code base is stuck just like glob2's. In such a case, pooling
> resources would maybe make sense but they released the latest version just
> two months ago and they claim to be very flexible.

I completely agree about not reinventing the wheel, but I do not think that
the specific engine of a third-party game is close enough to our needs for
glob. I would rather take a proven generic engine (hence my suggestion about
blender game engine, but others are possible) and build on top of it. Compared
to the time where we started glob2, there are much more possibilities out
there now.

cheers,

Stéphane