Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter

From: Quinn YQ Teh
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 14:51:57 +1100

Hey Alex,

Can you give us some examples of these similar games hat have sold on steam that you mentioned?

-Quinn

On Monday, 16 December 2013, Alex Sapp wrote:
It could be interesting to create a dwarf fortress style of reboot for glob. The idea of keeping the indirect control scheme, focus more on economy and empire level building. With military being a late game or end meta game. Think more like an anthill, less like a small army. I don't know if the task can be completed, but I think it would be a good way to get the project running. Steam would also be a good medium to shoot for and launch from, with its new steam green light and early access programs. Distribution means support.

The type of game glob is, a "town management" and indirect control. There are a couple similar games on steam, but they are narrow and specific. None of them are multiplayer. This team has more experience putting multiplayer together than games that are selling just single player versions of your idea, and selling by the thousands for $10 a copy.

Here is what I suggest. Buggy but multiplayer has ALWAYS been superior to a polished single player. Indie success stories such as mine craft and terraria and prime examples that multiplayer makes the difference. The best AI to fight against or interest with, unless unfairly balanced, gets boring and predictable. Multiplayer fixes that.

A large scale town management game that you can fight against a friend in. Think about it. Far less advanced games, lacking multiplayer, based on the idea of indirect control, have sold on steam very well.

Sent from my iPhone