Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 18:35:52 -0300

Kickstarter being US only should not be a problem as I guess we would easily
find some US glob2 member to handle that part.

I'm more concerned about getting quality for the money. Last time I tried to
push Glob2 with money, I'm not sure if it even helped at all as for one I didn't
get half the agreed coding work for the money paid and maybe even poisoned the
open source spirit by bringing money in.

I wonder how many former glob2 players we could reach with a campaign and
whether it is worth it, to share the funds with paypal and kickstarter in other
words I wonder if the usual kickstarter user might jump on supporting the
project if they are not former glob2 players anyway.

About the design decisions: I am not passionate about reinventing the wheel, so
if we can base glob3 on another game, that's fine with me, too. (Mega)Glest [1]
for example has a nice game engine. I have no idea though whether their code
base is stuck just like glob2's. In such a case, pooling resources would maybe
make sense but they released the latest version just two months ago and they
claim to be very flexible.

Regards,

Leo

[1] http://megaglest.org/