Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 14:36:44 +0100

Hi,

> If we really want to revive the game, I think we need to get something that
> carries momentum. Raising money on kickstarter would be a good start, but I
> don't have the time nor the expertise to run a good kickstarter campaign
> myself.

Of course we need enough dedicated competent people to carry out a revival,
but if we use a more accessible language than C++ for the game logic and do a
community-based consensual (and documented) design, the project should be much
more accessible to newcomers then current code base.

> Part of me thinks that the concept would be better served as a
> freemium-style business then as an open source project. All of the popular
> games these days are online based. Does anyone think the concept could be
> converted to mobile devices? Maybe reduce the emphasis on war and more
> economy building?

I see your point, but for me the open-source aspect is important, because I
think that an innovative game such as glob2 does profit from many inputs and I
like the idea of an open source.

Maybe the two are not incompatible, especially if the game is server-based
which implies cost anyway. When you speak about being online-based, do you
imagine a thin-client approach? If so, maybe it can even be browser-based,
using WebGL.

have a nice day,

Stéphane