Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter

From: David Heiko Kolf
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Revive Glob2 with a kickstarter
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 21:01:37 +0100

Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
> I am also not sure whether the money is the critical part to start from, one
> of the problem with glob2 is the breadth and the depth of the code base and
> the unreadability of the critical parts, for instance the unit state
> machines.
> That is why I suggest to switch to a more accessible language for these parts
> and make them more readable. My work on co-routine with teer is directly
> based
> on my experience on glob2, and my frustration of not being able to understand
> easily what is going on with the unit behaviours.

Hello,

I have seen a few kickstarter campaigns for webcomics and it appears to
me that you would already need quite a huge fan base in order to be
successful.  I do not know whether this would apply to Glob2.

For me it has unfortunately been years since I last played Glob2 or
looked at its source.  I wish I could invest more time in it, but at the
moment I am still quite short of time.

For dynamic languages I would also consider Lua [1][2], which is used in
quite a lot of games already (Battle for Wesnoth, World of Warcraft, ...
[3]).  It is a small and fast ANSI-C interpreter and a very powerful
language (also supporting coroutines).  It is said to be much easier to
embed in a game than Python, though I cannot speak from my own
experience here, I never tried to embed Python in a program.  However,
contrary to Python it does not include "batteries", the standard library
is quite small and the host program has to provide a selected set of
extensions (which is quite often exactly what you want in a computer game).

Best regards,

David

[1] <http://www.lua.org/>
[2] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_%28programming_language%29>