Re: [Gnu-arch-users] into the ether again: wd factor

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] into the ether again: wd factor
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 08:20:03 -0800

Jeremy Shaw wrote:

On Nov 01, 2005 05:35 AM, Robert Anderson <address@hidden>
wrote:

I'll throw this one into the ether again:

If there was a way to take a tree and split out changes hunk by hunk into two or more trees (including a null tree), wouldn't the power of changesets really finally be there in a way that's far more useful?

This is the default behaviour in darcs -- when you do 'darcs record',
it will iterate through each hunk, rename, etc, and ask if you want
to include it in the changeset. You can also do, 'darcs record -a',
to record everything.
I would like not only to accept/reject, but to factor hunks into an arbitrary number of other trees that I create on the fly during the process. Disposing of a hunk would be a special case of that.

Having a one-step accept/reject process would be clumsy and redundant if I wanted to split a patch into three parts. I'd have to reject the hunks that belong in the last patch twice. I'd rather fan them out in one step.

Another problem with the accept/reject process that makes it a non-starter IMO is that the tree you are committing never exists as a fully formed tree that you can build/test/etc. Factoring out into working directories allows you to apply your build/test process to each state of the tree independently before committing.

Bob