Re: [Gnu-arch-users] into the ether again: wd factor

From: Adrian Irving-Beer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] into the ether again: wd factor
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 16:09:03 -0500

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 02:16:51AM +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

> The only absurd thing here is your message, the comment wasn't
> directed at you, so it would be nice if you didn't speak for Jeremy;
> if Jeremy felt offended, then he can talk to me directly.

I stand up for others when I feel they have been wronged, as I hope
others would do for me.

> Jeremy's mail was `darcs does this, tla sucks at this'.

Yeah, minus the 'tla sucks at this' part.  Honestly, how did you read
that from his message?  He didn't even mention tla.

> I do not call that that `disucssing design', since it doesn't
> explain why what darcs is better.

It doesn't need to.  The original post requested that functionality.
He pointed out that darcs had it.  *If* the original post's idea is
found to have merit, then darcs' method *might* be a good one.

Nowhere does this imply that darcs is better than tla.  It simply has
one feature that tla doesn't, and that tla could perhaps benefit from.
I fail to see how this merits a rude "don't advertise here" response.

Besides, as I mentioned, arch *has* this feature.  It's just awkward,
and not a part of tla proper.  We could change that, if we could avoid
descending into intolerant "don't post that here" meta-discussions.

I for one support any convenient way to split out changes in a tree.
Mind you, I'm not sure darcs' is the best way, since it forgoes
independent testing of what the committer is committing.

> I will refrain from commenting any more with people who has such
> problems reading something so simple, and are suffering from
> schizophrenia.

How convenient for you.