Re: [Gnu-arch-users] into the ether again: wd factor

From: Karel Gardas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] into the ether again: wd factor
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 20:38:01 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005, Robert Anderson wrote:

Having a one-step accept/reject process would be clumsy and redundant if I wanted to split a patch into three parts. I'd have to reject the hunks that belong in the last patch twice. I'd rather fan them out in one step.

True, but how to do this in UI-frendly manner?

Another problem with the accept/reject process that makes it a non-starter IMO is that the tree you are committing never exists as a fully formed tree that you can build/test/etc. Factoring out into working directories allows you to apply your build/test process to each state of the tree independently before committing.

Don't forget that in darcs you commit (record) into the working directory repository, so you can freely record your three patches, then get (clone) the source tree into several other trees where you'd like to test patch combinations and then just use unpull to delete appropriate patches which you'd not like to test. You can pull them from the parent anytime in the future anyway.

Once you test everything, you can push your changes up.

Karel
--
Karel Gardas                  address@hidden