gotmail-list

Re: [gotmail] out there suggestion...

From: John Fruetel
Subject: Re: [gotmail] out there suggestion...
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:27:04 -0800

I've actually thought about this quite a bit.  Gotmail is basically a fancy
'screen scraper' that looks like a regular user to Hotmail.  As such, it's
prone to break every time MS changes the hotmail pages, like what just
happened.

Paul Cannon, who worked on this project just before I did, also works on
hotwayd.  According to Paul, the http mail protocol isn't 100% either.  I'd
rather Paul spoke about this, but I got the impression from him that the
http mail protocol isn't a bad of roses either.  Although it's not as likely
to break as gotmail is, it has it's own set of problems.

I write web services all the time at work.  In fact, I use the amazon
webservices to test things.  I even have a webservice on bigfatdude to check
e-mails for spaminess.

The problem here is that Microsoft doesn't seem to want to make it easy to
use Hotmail via a webservice.  Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but as
far as I know http mail is still sorta proprietary to MS and they don't seem
interested in opening it up.  They want you to go to the web page to use
hotmail and see all the advertising.  In fact, some years ago, Outlook
Express would show the same ads as hotmail when you used OE as a hotmail
client.

So, I guess I'm agreeing here...  There is a lot of 'cross-over' development
happening here.  But I think that gotmail might be a little more functional
than hotwayd at the moment.  By 'functional', I mean it can do more.  But if
hotwayd can indeed do all the low-level functionality that gotmail needs,
I'm all for using it in the future.