gotmail-list

Re: [gotmail] out there suggestion...

From: paul cannon
Subject: Re: [gotmail] out there suggestion...
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:05:19 -0700

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 12:48:49AM -0500, Brian Forth wrote:
> Since MS changed their hotmail pages that last time that broke gotmail  I
> have been using OE 6 (6.00.2800.1123)and would like to report there are no
> ads in that interface so I can't that being the main driving force behind MS
> changing the site on a regular basis. Not being a programmer I can't really

You don't get ads when you use Hotmail through Outlook Express, but you
certainly do via the web. Hotmail is most assuredly ad-supported, and
the management probably isn't particularly thrilled about tools like
gotmail that allow bypassing those ads.

Outlook Express is a different story; It's a Microsoft product, and
Microsoft owns Hotmail. Microsoft is willing to forgo the ad revenue for
Outlook Express users in order to get more people using their software
products.

> offer any suggestions as to how to fix the perl script but it would seem to
> me that since OE doesn't break there has to be some way to get around MS
> changing it's site?

There would be, if we could make an application act exactly like OE. But
there are too many nuances. Hotmail's webdav interface relies on
irregularities and possibly even bugs in OE's processing code. Hotwayd
has to emulate all of that to be perfectly and permanently compatible.

| paul cannon                                 address@hidden |
|                             http://people.debian.org/~pik/ |