Re: First look at Guile Std Library available

From: Robert Uhl
Subject: Re: First look at Guile Std Library available
Date: 05 Jan 2004 09:03:52 -0700

Richard Todd <address@hidden> writes:

> Then, (I was hoping only once every few years), you have to say
> "Enough!" and break with the past.

I'm not certain about that--after all, libc has stayed pretty much the
same for decades.  Heck, we still have gets(), for the truly perverse.

Standard libraries should, as a rule, not change their interfaces.
Given the right thought into their APIs at the outset, it's not needed.
Even where it would be nice, it must be weighed against the need to
maintain compatibility.

I can still pick up little C progs from the clory days and have a _very_
good chance of compiling them; that would not be possible of libc kept
changing.

--
Robert Uhl <address@hidden>
What parts of `shall make no law,' `shall not be infringed,' and `shall