help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Liquid War 6 eye candy

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Liquid War 6 eye candy
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:36:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Sun, September 27, 2009 1:16 am, Timothy Anderson wrote:
> (oil, water, etc.) that would be perfect, I think. The trouble is
> obviously finding a creative solution in applying that effect while
> keeping the game legacy compatible.
Just to make things clear : if I (or someone else) ever implements some
fancy display that possibly burns out even the most recent CPU/GPU, you
can be sure the current mode will stay available for "low-end" hardware.
It's just like what I was telling you about the menu : cylinder is here to
stay. The family might grow with another style, but cylinder will still be
available.

In practice, there's a "menu-style" attribute that, for now, has only one
possible value, it's "cylinder". And there's also a "view-style" attribute
that, for now, has only one possible value, it's "flat". In the
middle/long term, there might be more "view styles". That's all. The
current implementation has the advantage to require moderate hardware.

Just FYI, the one very-special representation I want to implement some day
is a full 3D perspective with "polarity" leading to different (possibly
quadric) surfaces. For instance, polarity +1,+1 lets you play on a tore.
0,+1 can be mapped on a cylinder or, to some extent, a sphere (if you
neglect poles). 0,-1 requires a Moebius ring. -1,+1 is a Klein bottle if I
remember well. I've still not found anything for the -1,-1 case, I dunno
if it has a real 3D surface it can be mapped on. Not that I'm going to
code that tomorrow but well, I think it's just good to know the "idea box"
is just full-packed, which is IMHO much better than the opposite -> no
more ideas...

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--