help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Liquid War 6 eye candy

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Liquid War 6 eye candy
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 18:00:23 +0200

Here's some brainstorm. LW6 is something of a black box to me, so I
have no idea what can actually be done.

As I see it, there are two ways we could make eyecandy:

METHOD A : find a new way to display each individual fighter: Make
each fighter a triangle, make each fighter a cluster of pixels, make
each fighter a bitmap, etc.

METHOD B: change all the fighters as a whole. The fighter layer is a
200x150 bitmap, which will have to be sized up to high res. We will
edit the bitmaps to look cool. This will have to be done at every
round (as in "rounds-per-sec") so it will have to be very fast.

Let's take a look at method B.

Here is what we have to work with. The image on the top shows all the
fighters as white pixels. At the buttom, they are colorized:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7577/illua.jpg

When upsampling, we gets a nice blurry look, all for free:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6183/illub.jpg

Let's see this as a blurry grayscale image (fighters are white) and
play with it ...

Using threshold, we could convert this blurry look to sharp edges:

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5674/illuc.jpg

The blurry grascale could also use something akin to Photoshop's "Dissolve":

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/3479/illud.jpg

We could also combine the graycale with a high-res grayscale of some
sort, or add whatever effect openGL is cabable of. Method A and Method
B could also be combined.