Re: another 'wrong type argument' error

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: another 'wrong type argument' error
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 15:10:32 +0200

Wols Lists <antlists@youngman.org.uk> writes:

> On 10/10/2022 06:43, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
>> The problem isn’t LilyPond’s or its dependencies’ support for older
>> macOS, which is better than even the system support. The real
>> problem is Apple preventing you from upgrading your computer past a
>> certain macOS version.
>
> Which is probably down to newer versions of MacOS taking advantage of
> new chip features.
>
> Linux drops support for older chips over time - it's almost impossible
> to get a distro that supports plain x86 any more

Which would be what?  30 years?

My current computer is about 10 years, the backup computer about 15
years old.  Both are running current GNU/Linux systems.

I think it was about 5 years ago that EISA bus support was removed.

> ... Because Apple has far tighter integration between computer and OS,
> they can more easily upgrade in lock-step.

Removing old hardware support is not mandatory.

Admittedly that does not really hold when migrating to a completely
different CPU architecture, and Apple affords that move roughly every
one or two decades (Motorola 68K to PowerPC to x86 to M1 if I remember
correctly with regard to macOS),

--
David Kastrup