Re: another 'wrong type argument' error

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: another 'wrong type argument' error
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 05:10:48 +0000 (UTC)

> Confirmed using otool that the minimum OS for the linked build is
> 10.15:
>
> Load command 10
>       cmd LC_BUILD_VERSION
>   cmdsize 32
>   platform 1
>   minos 10.15
>       sdk 10.15.6

Thanks.

> That is certain to be the reason why it doesn’t run, but I suspect a
> local build might run fine. I’d suggest setting this lower for
> binary releases if there’s no pressing reason to require 10.15 on
> Mac.

Sounds sensible.  Jonas?

On page

https://smallhacks.wordpress.com/2018/11/11/how-to-support-old-osx-version-with-a-recent-xcode/

I read that SDK 10.14.1 supports 10.9 as the oldest version (I
couldn't quickly find the lowest value for SDK 10.15).  AFAIK, we
don't use any functionality that is available on newer macOS versions
only, so this route seems safe.

> For reference when using clang/llvm the relevant compiler flag to
> set the deployment target is:
>
> -mmacos-version-min=<arg>

BTW, this flag is necessary for both compiling and linking.

Whatever Jonas is able to manage with his build setup, I suggest to
add a note to the download section(s) like the following:

  The macOS x86_64 binary works with macOS X.Y and higher.  For older
  macOS versions please use MacPorts.

     Werner