Re: another 'wrong type argument' error

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: another 'wrong type argument' error
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 21:29:04 +0200

On Mon, 2022-10-10 at 05:10 +0000, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > Confirmed using otool that the minimum OS for the linked build is
> > 10.15:
> >
> > Load command 10
> >        cmd LC_BUILD_VERSION
> >    cmdsize 32
> >    platform 1
> >    minos 10.15
> >        sdk 10.15.6
>
> Thanks.

Yes, I build on macOS 10.15 and it will work on versions newer than
that, as also announced with the first release of this infrastructure:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2022-02/msg00155.html

> > That is certain to be the reason why it doesn’t run, but I suspect
> > a local build might run fine. I’d suggest setting this lower for
> > binary releases if there’s no pressing reason to require 10.15 on
> > Mac.
>
> Sounds sensible.  Jonas?

I don't agree; I chose macOS 10.15 as a target because it was, until
recently, the oldest supported version. If we try to lower this
requirement I have no idea what will be work, and even worse I don't
have the possibility to test it. FWIW Homebrew also only actively
supports macOS 10.15, everything below that is provided on a best-
effort basis (and may be broken to a certain degree).

> On page
>
> https://smallhacks.wordpress.com/2018/11/11/how-to-support-old-osx-version-with-a-recent-xcode/
>
> I read that SDK 10.14.1 supports 10.9 as the oldest version (I
> couldn't quickly find the lowest value for SDK 10.15).  AFAIK, we
> don't use any functionality that is available on newer macOS versions
> only, so this route seems safe.

So you checked all of LilyPond's dependencies and can guarantee that it
will stay like this forever?

> > For reference when using clang/llvm the relevant compiler flag to
> > set the deployment target is:
> >
> > -mmacos-version-min=<arg>
>
> BTW, this flag is necessary for both compiling and linking.

For the record, the easier variant of this setting is the environment
variable MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET.

> Whatever Jonas is able to manage with his build setup,

I'm not going to work on anything. I have been alone trying to get a
build for macOS even though I don't even use Apple hardware and other
core developers do. It will take somebody willing to work on this
effort *and commit to maintaining it* because I don't think it's a good
idea to release something half-working.

> I suggest to add a note to the download section(s) like the
> following:
>
>   The macOS x86_64 binary works with macOS X.Y and higher.  For older
>   macOS versions please use MacPorts.

Yes, we can do that once we have the stable release and the binaries
are available from the Downloads page, it's generally not written on
the Development page.

Jonas