Re: another 'wrong type argument' error

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: another 'wrong type argument' error
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 17:23:02 +0200

David Wright <lilylis@lionunicorn.co.uk> writes:

> No problem for a 1.5GHz 32-bit processor with 512MB memory.
> BTW the term "plain x86" is almost meaningless. For a start,
> are you talking about the processor, or the architecture?
> Debian's "amd64" architecture is still an x86, just 64-bit.

Well, for one thing one should not rely on a mathematical coprocessor.
It was optional (and not exactly cheap) with the 80386.  And yes, I did
run Linux (and previously UNIX) on an 80SX386, the 8-bit bus version of
the 80386 processor, though mainly as a thin client to a full-fledged
80486 server with a whopping 16MB of RAM and a SCSI hard disk with over
100MB of capacity.

I think we used Interactive UNIX and Coherent UNIX before converging on
Linux when it became useable (which was a surprisingly short time after
it became available first, something like 1 or 2 years).

--
David Kastrup