mediagoblin-userops

Re: [Userops] Free softwar community hosting

From: Jim Campbell
Subject: Re: [Userops] Free softwar community hosting
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 16:41:45 -0600

Hi All,

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015, at 04:14 PM, Jessica Tallon wrote:
Hello,

There have been discussions on IRC and also on a pump.io thread (https://io.theperplexingpariah.co.uk/Tsyesika/note/oBSJrForR9mymrm2CqhCbg) about starting a community run code hosting site with issue tracking since the acquisition and subsequent demise of Gitorious. The following projects so far are interested in being a part of this group:

- GNU Mediagoblin
- My personal projects (Pamrel, PyPump, etc.)
- Inboxen (possibly)
- snowdrift.coop

The site would only accept projects which are fully free software, those being under GPL compatible licenses. It will be run by the community and funded hopefully by the community. I am willing to donate:

- VPS (probably a bitfolk one)
- SSL certificate (not EV but a standard one from gandi)
- A domain

A linode server has also been offered by Simon Fondrie-Teitler (simonft). The current candidates for software seem to be:

- Gitlab (Maybe not as they offer a proprietary version and have a CLA)
- Phabricator (Also has a CLA but no proprietary version)
- Gogs (written in Go, and pretty new)

The one which has more or less been ruled out is Kallithea as it doesn’t have an issue tracker or SSH authentication which is unfortunate as that would have been a good choice (Free software wise).

Thanks,
Jessica Tallon.

The ChicagoLUG receives a generous, ongoing donation of resources from Rackspace (much more than we can reasonably use, month-to-month), and we would be willing to provide the VPS, as well.  The Rackspace resources also include their various related resources / services (backup, block storage, etc.).

I do like the idea of pooling together related projects. As Aaron Wolf mentions, that would make joining-up with notabug.org a good idea. I wouldn't see us needing to press them to change their attitude towards focusing on GPL-based projects, though. If we host with them, it seems that we'd be joining their community for what is is now, and wouldn't be in a place to suggest new terms for them.

Otherwise, as for the chosen software, I don't have a strong preference.

Jim