[Monotone-devel] Re: wrapping up the changeset branch

From: Asger Ottar Alstrup
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: wrapping up the changeset branch
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:44:06 +0200

graydon hoare wrote:
- Efficient distribution of large files

I don't know what sort of efficiency gain you might be thinking of. perhaps something to do with shared sub-fragments, or simply avoidance of copying?

It would be sufficient to avoid unnecessary copies.

- Footprint on each person machine should be a function of what they have checked out, not the history or what is in the repository

but towards the goal you have in mind, it's theoretically feasible to have the "backwards" fetch stop early, say only retrieve a small-ish subgraph near the heads of a branch, perhaps all nodes under the least dominator of the current heads. I say theoretically rather than practically, because we haven't made any such feature yet.

OK. I see that we are getting closer. I guess the sqlite upgrade is only a matter of time, and if we got the feature mentioned above, the remaining issues are all "only" performance related.

Thanks,
Asger