[Monotone-devel] Re: wrapping up the changeset branch

From: graydon hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: wrapping up the changeset branch
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 14:55:43 -0400

Asger Ottar Alstrup wrote:

But maybe you can tell me the status of these things given the recent developments:

- Storing large files ~ 1 GB

it cannot do this at the moment. it requires the upgrade to sqlite 3, which we have not performed yet.

- Efficient working with large files - i.e. not having them three times in memory in common operations

no work has been done on this.

- Efficient distribution of large files

I don't know what sort of efficiency gain you might be thinking of. perhaps something to do with shared sub-fragments, or simply avoidance of copying?

- Reduce hashing time on large files

no work has been done on this.

- Footprint on each person machine should be a function of what they have checked out, not the history or what is in the repository

there has been a minor improvement here on the changeset branch, which is that netsync knows how to pull both "forwards" (starting from the oldest historical record) and also "backwards", when it realizes it is fetching a disconnected subgraph. this "backwards fetching" is actually quite a bit more efficient when it's noticed, since it is the way deltas in the underlying storage layer are kept.

but towards the goal you have in mind, it's theoretically feasible to have the "backwards" fetch stop early, say only retrieve a small-ish subgraph near the heads of a branch, perhaps all nodes under the least dominator of the current heads. I say theoretically rather than practically, because we haven't made any such feature yet.

-graydon