Re: Difficulty rating of compiling Pingus?

From: Erik Søe Sørensen
Subject: Re: Difficulty rating of compiling Pingus?
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 22:13:10 +0200

David Philippi wrote:
Am Fr, den 09.04.2004 schrieb Erik Søe Sørensen um 1:46:

Exercise, yes... nice, not really.
Well, I'd say you've learned some new things by now. ;-)
True.
(And I does not say that that is such a bad thing - it's just that
1. I'd prefer to learn things up front, instead of after-the-fact.
2. It's a bit much to expect from a mere translator. I might as well become a developer now :)

- On my system, the check for clanJPEG failed when ClanLib 0.6 was installed in /usr/local . I think the linker tried to use the 0.7 version of ClanLib instead (or maybe the check just doesn't like /usr/local - I don't know).

The check does like /usr/local and on my system it did work although
I've got both installed, what version of autoconf, automake do you use?
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59
automake (GNU automake) 1.8.3

- But I'd better try to compile it all the Right Way(TM).

- Making Pingus use my localization was another problem; I had to add this symbolic link to make it work:

The best way is to add your language to configure.ac
Yes, another thing I learned.

prior to running
autogen.sh so that it gets built along with the others. If you then do a
make install instead of just running pingus from src/, it should be
found.
The entire directory isn't found.
Actually, "LANG=de_DE pingus" still doesn't work, so something must still be fscked in my end...?
(Is there any convenient way to debug gettext issues?)

Or is it just me who should learn m4,aclocal,auto{conf,make},gettext to know better before I can call myself a developer?

 No, you should just use them in the intended way.
Still had to learn those, then. (I suppose the intended way is to run autogen.sh, right?)

(In that case, which open source projects constitute the Tutorial Island? :)
Any project with polite developers on the mailing list. ;-)
Right :)
(And perhaps keen-eyed one as well - No one mentioned the right way to do it the last time I had compilation trouble.)

/Erik